Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Day 2, Solden to Brixen

There was a lot of paranoia last night with respect to the weather forecast, and sure enough we woke up this morning and it was cold, raining, and windy.  So out came all the warm clothes, and we gave extra clothes to Tobias to give back to us at the top of the Timmelsjoch (1st climb of the day).

Two major climbs today, each about 1300m in elevation gained and other assorted climbs leading to a total of somewhere around 3000 meters (or 10,000 feet).  The first big day.

All in all the weather actually co-operated, and at no point did any of us get cold.  Jamie and I both suffered in silence and stayed together (more or less).  But we stayed pretty consistent all day.  We lost a bit of time, probably from stopping and putting on clothes or taking them off.  We probably didn't need to do that (put clothes on) but I wasn't willing to risk descending 1600 meters with frozen body (and worst of all, hands).  We ended up in 18th on the day, and 16th overall.  Or something like that.  Trevor and Geoff rolled in about 15 minutes later.

Brixen is an absolutely beautiful little town, and it has a great central square.  We ate at the finish (great food), then showered and had a massage, ate again, then walked around looking for a restaurant and ate again.  See a common theme here ?  I think I am probably burning about 4000 calories a day and eating about 8000 calories, and I am way to lazy to carry extra weight up all these climbs.

After dinner we had -- more food -- ice cream cone.   And as I am typing this, Jamie just came back to the room with Tiramisu.  He is a food PIGGY.

1 comment:

  1. You are halfway done right? We are so proud of you.
    Come home in one piece.

    ReplyDelete