Back for round 4 of tour transalps. You think I would learn !
I flew into Munich on Sunday, June 17th and have been lazing around Mittenwald. Rode to Telfs on monday, in that same vicinity on tuesday, and today (wednesday) rode up the north side of the Kuhtai. It was steep, but not too crazy (14% for long periods, which is twice as steep as cypress but it was manageable... and I wasn't tired). Like Cypress, Kuhtai is a ski resort, with the highest base elevation in austria.
I don't know who in their right mind would make a steep road up to a ski hill, but maybe they hoped it would never snow (!!??). We go over the Kuthai on sunday (first day of the race) but up from the east, and down the west side.
After I got back from my ride today, the Just Giver 4 Parkinsons Disease (JF4PD) crew showed up. I think there are 4 of them, including Kelly who was in a serious plane crash at the airport in Richmond a few months back. He broke pretty much everything breakable. Amazing that he is here.
I learned yesterday that a friend and fellow TNA rider, Mike Ryan, had to drop out. He hit a deer descending seymour a few weeks back, and he is still experiencing concussion like symptoms. We will miss you Mikey !!! (And strangely enough, Mike is the reason I am here ! I wasn't going to do it, but he signed up and I didn't want to miss the fun).
The photo is typical Bavarian architecture. All the buildings in Mittenwald (and Austria and northern Italy) look like this. And if you want to climb to the top of the mountain in the background ? Take the tram 95% of the way up and hike the last 5%. How civilized !!! (Unfortunately there is no tram to take me the 1400 vertical meters from the valley to the top of the Kuhtai. How uncivilized !).
Tomorrow my partner for the race, Jamie shows up. And two other vancouverites Trevor and Geoff. Three more days of taking it easy and then the fun begins (sunday).
No comments:
Post a Comment